A few years ago I asked my little boy what the most important thing to him in the whole wide world was. His reply - His teddies. He had no sooner announced their great importance to me when he rushed off to fetch all of them. On his return, he seated each and every teddy on the bed and began explaining to me why each one was important to him.
The Teddy Top 10 (In my sons words)
10. Duckie: I love him because he is all yellow and soft and he has black eyes
9. Smurfy: I love Smurfy because he is comfy and blue
8. Leopard: I love him because I can swing him around and around and around
7. Kangaroo: I love him because he bounces
6. Woody: I love him because he is a cowboy
5. Doggy: I love him because he has a nice chest and he is all comfy. I broke his nose off and now I don’t know where his nose is, but I still love him.
4. Granny’s Floppy Teddy: I am going to give him a name now, I am going to call him “Shobby Putch”. I love him because granny had him since long, long, long time ago and he had a hole in his leg and mommy had to fix him and then I loved him a lot and a lot.
3. Elephant: He is important to me because he is important to mommy because you bought him so nicely when I was still in your tummy and he has a broken arm.
2. Superman: I love Superman because he can fly. When I grow up I want to be Superman because he can fly and Spiderman can only shoot webs. When I am a real Superman when I am big, then I can take my teddy Superman with me when I go flying and then we will save the world and I will save you mommy.
1. Teddy: I love teddy because he is all soft and comfy and cuddly. He has a smiley face and I love him because he is always nice to me.
All of the above teddies live at the foot of Jude’s bed, except two of them… Teddy and Superman. Teddy sleeps with Jude every single night and Super man is placed in the gap of the door to keep guard when he goes to sleep.
I found it really interesting how the only two teddies that serve “active functions” in his daily life were also the only two that he had something meaningful to say with regards to why he loved them.
Superman might have gotten the longer description – being that he saves the world and can fly etc. but Teddy’s description, whilst less in word count, certainly wasn’t less in depth or importance.
“He has a smiley face and he is always nice to me”
A simple statement – yes – but so VERY significant.
There are many things in life that make the ride an interesting and fun one but at the end of the day when it is all said and done, who do we want next to us? The people who loved us, that’s who.
Love, is the most essential and primary NEED of any living creature on this planet. It is something we ALL crave, ALL the time. It is hardwired in our systems and is the sole purpose of our existence….no matter what form it takes its shape.
The fact that my little boy chooses to cuddle with “love” at the end of his day says it all.
And the winner of the Teddy Top 10 is…. ;)
FOLLOW ME ON STEEMIT